norelief: (four (open mouth))
Finnick Odair ([personal profile] norelief) wrote2014-03-16 09:26 pm

(no subject)

He's killed another one.

Somehow that's what won't leave him alone. Even if it's been for the right reasons, even if there's a gash in his side that's stopped bleeding but still hurts so much he almost needs to bite his lip to keep from screaming. He's had worse. It'll heal. He'll be fine. The Career impaled by his trident and struck with Katniss' arrows won't.

Nothing has changed, and they've been foolish to think otherwise. 

And it's not as if he didn't expect this outcome. They couldn't let them live. But that doesn't take away from the fact that another life is lost because of him, and he can't even claim the security of the arena. Can't even claim that it was all part of a game. Whatever Darrow is, however it might mirror the confinement with its invisible walls, it's not the same. He's not even sure he can claim the Capitol made him a killer anymore. Gutting fish from not even four years of age, maybe it was an inevitability. 

When he speaks from the couch, though, he does his best not to let that show. It's bad enough that she's had to see him wounded. Nobody needs to know how torn up he feels inside. When he speaks, instead, it's matter-of-fact. Like they're back in the arena. Like this is just another day in their alliance. "So, one down, three to go?"
vocalfuel: (pic#4623714)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-21 08:57 am (UTC)(link)
It feels like I can't breathe. Like there's an invisible hand clawing at my chest, its nails digging into my skin, past muscle and bone until it can clutch my heart. I've figured out by now that Finnick's going to be okay, and that we're safe here, no one having followed us, but even now that we're back, the doors locked and the blinds drawn, I'm shaking from fear and adrenaline both, a heady chemical combination. It was different, I think, being in the Arena. There was hardly any time to get stuck in my head, to do anything other than strategize and try to stay alive. Killing to survive wasn't just a necessity, it was what we were supposed to do. Now, it's our lives that have been intruded upon, and the people who could be casualties aren't other Tributes. No sponsors are going to come to our aid. We're in this all but alone. The game has changed.

"They know what we fight with now," I say, my mouth pulling into a frown. Tonight, at least we had the element of surprise on our side, but we've blown that chance. We're on home turf, though, so to speak. As far as I can tell, that means we still have the upper hand, provided we can act quickly enough. "We can't go after them again the same way we did tonight. We'll have to try something else."
vocalfuel: (pic#4531851)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-22 07:11 am (UTC)(link)
"Half the people in the Quell were fighting with us, not against us," I point out, though he's got a point. We survived the Careers then, we can do it again now. After everything, I don't see another alternative. I didn't survive two Arenas and a war only to get taken out by a group of teenagers who never even got the opportunity to volunteer. They're good, but Finnick and I, we're older, we're smarter. Still, I'm not giving them half a chance to get one up on us. We'll have to try a different approach next time, even if it's only slightly so.

For now, there are other things to worry about. Trying to focus on keeping my breaths steady, on being able to take them at all, I nod towards Finnick to indicate the gash in his side. It's not as bad as it could have been, but that doesn't make it much less worrying, or mean that it's something to be disregarded. "You should let me clean that for you," I say. I've thought about waking up Prim, but even if I don't have the head for medicine that she does, I can manage something that'll see him through until morning, if nothing else. It's too bad I wouldn't know what to give him for the pain. "And get it covered."
vocalfuel: (pic#4531715)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-22 07:55 am (UTC)(link)
"Haven't we all," I say, unable to help wincing when he lifts his shirt. The bleeding seems to have stopped, and I don't think it will need stitches, but neither that nor the fact that he's had worse is a reason not to be careful with this now. We can't afford that kind of recklessness. I can't, just like I can't let myself think about how easily this could have been more severe. How just a few more seconds, an inch or two in the other direction, and he might not still be here now. There's too much else to worry about for that, and in spite of all that blood, he's made it through alright. "But this'll be worse if we don't take care of it now."
vocalfuel: (pic#4531864)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-22 09:30 am (UTC)(link)
"She is," I say, shooting him a look for his question, though there's no heat behind it. There are few people I'd let tease me like that. Luckily for him, Finnick is one of them. "Which is how I know that she'd probably never forgive either of us if we just waited until she wakes up to deal with this." Anything worse, and I'd have her helping already, just as certain that she wouldn't want me to do otherwise. This, though, something messy but not too serious, I can take care of. Cleaning and covering a wound isn't anything too difficult. And if it means being useful, not just turning the same few thoughts over and over in my head, it's that much better. "Wait there, I'll be right back. And try not to get any blood on the couch."
vocalfuel: (pic#4623714)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-22 09:58 am (UTC)(link)
"Yeah, I bet you are," I shoot back, the sort of thing that I wouldn't have said if he hadn't gone there first. Since he did, I can't imagine he'll mind. Our typical easy banter takes some of the weight off my shoulders, anyway, as I head to the closet, then the kitchen, returning a few moments later holding a wet cloth. I'll rinse the blood off first, then find where Prim keeps the disinfectant and the bandages. If I keep this simple, methodical, plotting out each step in my head, then maybe I'll be less aware of how hard my heart is still pounding, the slight quiver of my hands. "How badly does it hurt?"
vocalfuel: (pic#4531767)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-22 10:30 am (UTC)(link)
"Only because it's you," I say, rolling my eyes. That his joking still comes as a relief isn't something I'm about to admit, but that's just all the more reason to play along. I think he might need it as much as I do, if not more. I'm not the one who came home hurt tonight. "But I can only do so much, so if you do want something to bite on, you better let me know now. And get that shirt out of the way."
vocalfuel: (pic#4578348)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-23 12:35 am (UTC)(link)
"Good," I reply, looking at the wound in his side and not him as he tugs his shirt off. It'll be easier to stay focused, to at least hide how shaken I am, if I concentrate on what happened, rather than the fact that it happened to Finnick and how close I could have come to losing him tonight. I think of my sister and my mother and the way they'd do this as I start to wash the blood off his skin, as gentle as I said I'd be. Even trying my best to channel them, though, I don't realize I've been holding my breath until my chest starts to ache again, and I exhale in a rush, practically gasping to get air again.
vocalfuel: (pic#4531815)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-23 01:11 am (UTC)(link)
"I'm fine," I assure him, glancing up briefly to catch his gaze so he knows I mean it. Fine might be a bit of an overstatement, but it isn't like I can't handle this. It's everything else that makes it difficult, both what happened tonight and what happened almost two years ago now, by my count. "Just still tense. And, please, you know this wouldn't make you hideous. I don't think there'll even be much of a scar."
vocalfuel: (pic#4531803)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-23 02:50 am (UTC)(link)
"Unfortunately, you're right about that," I say, head tilting, as I get back to cleaning his side. With the blood washing off, the cut looks less severe than it did before, and that helps. The cloth I've been using is stained red, though, and for one chilling instant, it occurs to me that Finnick's blood is on my hands again. At least this time that's all it is. "Shouldn't be too bad, though. Like you said, you've had worse."
vocalfuel: (pic#6119988)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-23 05:56 am (UTC)(link)
"You are lucky," I say, a little more cautious as I start to clean the wound itself rather than just the slightly reddened skin around it. I don't want to hurt him more than I have to, though it's inevitable, given the circumstances. Even as I speak, I try to keep my attention there, and I'm not sure if what follows is because of that focus, the words leaving my mouth unbidden, or in spite of it. "You know how easily you could have been killed tonight? If this hadn't been so shallow —"
vocalfuel: (pic#6119982)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-24 05:36 am (UTC)(link)
He's got a point, I know. But there's a difference between living with danger and walking headfirst into it. Obviously I can't fault him for it when I was right there beside him, my bow in my hand as his trident was in his, but that doesn't change what a near miss this was, or how fortunate he is that it isn't worse. The fact that I don't think he needs to be told that doesn't make it any less weighty, either. It doesn't make me any less shaken by what could have happened to him.

"I just —" I say, breathing in through my teeth, keeping my gaze pointedly turned away from him now, like that will change the words that have to follow. Neither does lowering my voice, or half-mumbling. I can't not say it, though, not because I need him to hear it, but because I'm so full up with secrets that to try to hold much else at bay always ultimately fails, like I've reached capacity and something has to be let go. "I don't want to lose you."
vocalfuel: (pic#4578348)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-24 07:22 am (UTC)(link)
I wish, suddenly, desperately, that I could do something more. That I could better take care of the wound he's got, or I could pull him close as a reminder that he's still here. The problem, of course, is that he won't always be able to help it, that no matter how skilled we might be with our weapons, that won't always make a lot of difference. For now, though, he's alright. He'll survive this, the damage minimal. I just need to keep remembering that instead of focusing on hypotheticals, or on the past. "You better not," I say, not sounding half as offhand as I would like to. "I mean it."
vocalfuel: (pic#4531827)

[personal profile] vocalfuel 2014-03-24 09:34 am (UTC)(link)
I'm not expecting it when he reaches for me, but I keep my hand around his for a long moment, ignoring the way my heart lurches up into my throat. For now, he's here. Maybe it isn't right that, after only a few months of having him back, I should be left thinking that I don't know what I'd do without him, but rather than trying to shake that off, I need to just appreciate the fact that it doesn't have to be a concern yet. I don't want to pull away, but it's because of that that I make myself, swallowing hard. "I'm gonna go find the disinfectant and gauze," I say. "I'll be right back, okay?"

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-03-25 04:09 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-03-25 08:22 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-03-26 05:20 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-03-26 05:42 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-03-26 15:41 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-03-29 14:14 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-03-31 04:11 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-03-31 18:59 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-04 16:33 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-06 06:41 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-08 18:01 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-09 05:23 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-10 05:48 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-10 20:55 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-11 03:15 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-11 05:10 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-11 06:13 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-12 02:02 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-13 06:11 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-17 01:09 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

[personal profile] vocalfuel - 2014-04-20 05:17 (UTC) - Expand