norelief: (Default)
Finnick Odair ([personal profile] norelief) wrote2014-06-23 11:49 pm
Entry tags:

(no subject)

He's seen the dog around often enough that it doesn't startle Finnick as much as the first time, though he can't help but tense up slightly as it sniffs at the bag of fish he holds in his hand, freshly captured from the sea and ready to be gutted and fried for dinner. Glancing around he spots Harley in the distance, closes the space between them with long strides and tries not to think of muttations as the creature follows. Lifting the bag up, he raises and eyebrow.

"I don't know if dogs are allowed to have fish," he says. There's enough there that if it's fine, he'll happily let him, but he's not about to let himself end another innocent life out of anything but necessity. Even that of a dog. Prim's taught him to be softer when it comes to animals, after all. That not everything is genetically modified to want to kill him.   
bloodycrescents: (as you surface from the dark.)

[personal profile] bloodycrescents 2014-06-23 07:20 pm (UTC)(link)
"He can if it's cooked," I say with a shrug, lifting a hand in greeting. Finnick's an alright guy. As neighbors go, he and the Everdeens are about the best I could ask for. They don't come around bothering me, but when we run into each other, I don't mind it either. "With the bones out."

I tried to feed raw fish to one of the dogs when I was little, hanging around my mom as she cooked. That it's dangerous is one of those things my dad made sure I remembered. He may not have been much nicer to the dogs than to us, but he didn't want me killing them either.

"Good day out there?"
bloodycrescents: (of night's unfolding arms.)

[personal profile] bloodycrescents 2014-06-25 08:37 pm (UTC)(link)
I nod, understanding. When I get the chance, I like to take Elvis down there, and I've gotten a head for when it'll be clear. I prefer avoiding all the people. It feels safer, letting him run free without worrying some kid's gonna pull on his tail. "Good timing," I say. "I like it out there when there's no one around."

It feels peaceful in a way I don't know how to explain. Because it's not peaceful, maybe. Things seem so still, but the sea's always shifting, always waiting, crashing and hungry.
bloodycrescents: (beyond the rumors and lies.)

[personal profile] bloodycrescents 2014-06-28 06:13 pm (UTC)(link)
I shake my head emphatically. "I tried it for a while," I tell him. I had to save for several months before I had enough to cover the rent and deposit for a new place out here. It's the biggest purchase I ever made, and I don't regret it for a moment. I might have saved money living in that place but I feel I would have lost something of what's left of my soul. "I'd never do it again. Not that — I mean, it wasn't —"

Nothing bad happened. It's just a place, and I was closer to the girls there. I think Kate would like it better if I still were, but I know she understands that I need this. I know Carla Jean gets why. "It's too much."
bloodycrescents: (turning every good thing to rust.)

[personal profile] bloodycrescents 2014-07-02 09:30 pm (UTC)(link)
"Nah, he fuckin' hated it," I say with a shake of my head. Elvis still has trouble with the concept of being allowed indoors at times. Living in an apartment made him a nervous wreck. Finnick's right about it being suffocating. The apartment was bigger than the house at home, but I always felt like all the air had gone out of it.

"I'm just not used to being packed in like that. Back home, we were out in the middle of nowhere."
bloodycrescents: (as you surface from the dark.)

[personal profile] bloodycrescents 2014-07-06 09:36 pm (UTC)(link)
"Same place Katniss is from, yeah?" I don't really know anything about it. It's not like Katniss and I ever done much in the way of talking. Even now when I see her around, we don't talk so much as exist in each other's general vicinity. I like that about her. Still, I don't know much about her world, but I know he lives with her and Prim, and I know she's not the kind of girl to let just anyone do that.
bloodycrescents: (only thing to live for is today.)

[personal profile] bloodycrescents 2014-07-07 10:24 pm (UTC)(link)
I nod like I get that, even though I've never experienced it myself really. I mean, with Carla Jean, I guess, but we don't really talk about what happened on Halloween. "Weird shit," I say by way of summary. "She's cool, though." A good fuck, though I know better than to say it, but I appreciate her attitude and her silence, too. There aren't a lot of girls like that.
bloodycrescents: (turning every good thing to rust.)

[personal profile] bloodycrescents 2014-07-09 07:47 pm (UTC)(link)
Elvis whines at the bag of fish again and I huff out a laugh, reaching for his collar. "I better get him inside and feed him," I tell Finnick. "I think he's about to lose his shit."